Portland Christian Schools

Skip to main content
Mobile Menu
Please Create A Marquee

Our History

Portland Christian Schools was launched in 1947 by a group of committed parents seeking to establish a Christian school presence in the Portland area. Driven by their vision of a school where students could receive an education firmly rooted in a Christian worldview, these parents laid the foundation for what would soon become the "Christian School Society of Portland, Oregon."
 
Notable highlights of the school's development include:
 
1947 The school opens with four teachers and 80 students in grades K-8
1949 High school classes are added
1951 The first high school class of ten students graduates; in the years following, a separate high school campus is added a few blocks down the street
1961 In December, the elementary building is burned to the ground; through donations and the labor of family and friends, the elementary school moves into a larger brick building 
1975 An annex is added to the elementary school
1981 Jr/Sr High school outgrows it's building and so it leases, and then later purchases, the Parkrose Heights Junior High School building off San Rafael Street
1995
The Meyer/Beck Track and Field is added to the outdoor athletic facilities at the San Rafael campus
2006 An arts building is constructed at the Market Street campus, which continues to serve the preschool (ECE) and elementary school to this day
 
 
Today, Portland Christian Schools excels in academics, athletics, arts, and music. The school has become well known as a place where students are transformed into Christian leaders.
 
We are committed to providing an excellent education in a distinctively Christian environment, educating students not only in academics, but also in morality, character development, and leadership skills.