Portland Christian Schools was launched in 1947 by a group of committed parents seeking to establish a Christian school presence in the Portland area. Driven by their vision of a school where students could receive an education firmly rooted in a Christian worldview, these parents laid the foundation for what would soon become the "Christian School Society of Portland, Oregon."
The school opened in the fall of 1947 with four teachers and eighty students in grades K-8. The school grew rapidly, adding high school classes in 1949. In 1951, the high school graduated its first class of ten students! Rapid growth necessitated additional facilities, and a separate high school campus was added just a few blocks down the street.
Then, in December 1961, the elementary campus burned to the ground! But God was faithful, and through the loving labor and donations of families and friends, He provided a beautiful and much larger brick building for the elementary school. This building, updated and expanded, along with an annex built in 1975, and an Arts Building built in 2006, continues to serve Portland Christian preschool and elementary students today.
Continued growth necessitated further facilities acquisitions and updates at both campuses. Finally, the high school completely outgrew its building, and in 1981, the school leased, and eventually purchased, the Parkrose Heights Junior High School building. The Meyer/Beck Track and Field was added in 1995 to bring the outdoor athletic facilities up to date. Portland Christian's Jr. High and High Schools continue to make full use of that campus.
Today, Portland Christian Schools excel in academics, athletics, arts, and music. The school has become well-known as a place where students are transformed into Christian leaders. Portland Christian remains committed to providing an excellent education in a distinctively Christian environment, educating students not only in academics, but also in morality, character development, and leadership skills.