Digital discipleship is on the forefront of the PCS staff minds as students are continually inundated with the ever changing scene of technology trends.
Young people need to be prepared to use responsibly use this technology at school, home, church/mission field and at college. The International Society for Technology in Education has developed a set of standards (http://www.iste.org/standards
) for students and also for teachers, which PCS uses as a basis for guiding the area of education technology.
In recent years at Portland Christian Jr/Sr High School, several technology efforts were launched.
- All students in grades 6 - 10 are issued a Chromebook computer for schoolwork
- Chromebooks are available for students grades 11 - 12
- Junior high math courses transitioned to a digital format
- Students in grades 6 -12 are issued Gmail accounts for email and Google Classroom applications
- Teachers are using educational apps to enhance the student’s learning experience
- A Technology Steering Committee which includes administration, teachers and the IT support department, research, develop, and provide professional development on integrating technology use in the classroom
Students are expected to practice digital responsibility in the use of technology at school and in life.