The Arts program at PCS is a place for students to create community and to live out and grow in their goals as artists. Portland Christian offers award-winning programs in Music, Fine Arts, and Performing Arts for Jr High and High School students.
The Music Program at the Jr/Sr High School exists to use and develop students’ God-given talent for music whether it is playing/singing in a large group, small group, or solo. Students discover the hidden talents God has given them, practice their hearing and their sense of rhythm, and learn how to collaborate with other musicians around them to give amazing, harmonious performances. Whether they have been singing or playing an instrument their whole lives or are just beginning, students will have the chance to explore new methods that will allow them to create beautiful music.
- Courses offered: Intermediate, and Advanced Band
- Students have the opportunity to join the yearly spring musical as musicians in the pit orchestra
- Individuals have audition opportunities for All-State and to compete in the Solo Competition
- Students may join the Pep Band to cheer on the home sports team
- Concert Band took first in the 2A/1A 2013 and 2014 State Championship competitions
The Theater Arts Program at the Jr/Sr High School offers students a wide variety of opportunities:
- Actors and crew members of all ability levels and interests have many performance and technical experience opportunities
- Junior High students can experience theater in a classroom setting and on stage
- Senior High students can choose drama as an extracurricular activity
- Students have opportunities to compete in regional acting competitions as well as the Oregon State Thespian Competition
- Qualifying students may join the school's Thespian chapter
The Visual Arts Program at the Jr/Sr High School offers courses for students at all ability levels and interests including:
- Visual art classes with advanced and independent options
- Instruction in two-dimensional and three-dimensional art mediums
- Opportunities for students to exhibit their artwork at:
- PCS annual art show
- Awards night
- The East Portland Community Center annual art exhibit
- Student artists participate in the Scholastic Art Awards and the Congressional Art Competition.
- PCS students have won Regional Scholastic Gold and Silver Keys in the visual arts
- PCS students have received first place in the Congressional Art Competition and have displayed their artwork in Washington, D.C.
- Those interested in photography and design (Jr High and Sr High separately) produce a school yearbook
- Students work both independently as a team to document the school year through the use of photography and stories
- Preproduction, students learn design fundamentals, layout, typography, camera use, image composition -- all while meeting production deadlines